K1200RS ABS pump not stopping (sorry, in English)

Alles, was mit der Technik zu tun hat
Antworten
robopoulos

K1200RS ABS pump not stopping (sorry, in English)

#1 Beitrag von robopoulos »

Hallo,

(Sorry that my German is not good enough to discuss about technical issues);

I got this fault yesterday, the ABS pump keeps running even when the power is turned off. The only way I could stop it was by removing the battery cable. The warning lights flash slowly and alternating.

- Does anyone have an idea what might the probable causes be? What first comes to mind is that the ABS relay may be broken/stuck. The worst scenario is that the ABS unit itself is broken.

- Is there a way to disconnect the ABS unit power so that I could drive to service instead of calling a tow truck?

- In the Clymer repair manual I can see a wiring schema (page 456) which shows an ABS cancel switch. Is this a switch one can use to stop the unit or is it something not meant to be accessed?

This is the older ABS II Brembo system, the bike is from year 2000, the manufacturing model year is 1998.

Thanks a bunch,
robopoulos
Finland

PS. I would very much appreciate names of reliable dealers in Germany who sell new and repaired parts for K1200RS and also shops who repair ABS units. If I need to replace the whole ABS unit, I would rather buy a serviced unit instead of a new one.
Zuletzt geändert von Frank@Pfalz am 19. Mai 2014, 13:45, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: moved to K12ooRS Forum ;-)
Björn_GS (SFA)
Mopped(s): GS

Re: K1200RS ABS pump not stopping (sorry, in English)

#2 Beitrag von Björn_GS (SFA) »

robopoulos hat geschrieben: PS. I would very much appreciate names of reliable dealers in Germany who sell new and repaired parts for K1200RS and also shops who repair ABS units. If I need to replace the whole ABS unit, I would rather buy a serviced unit instead of a new one.
Hi robopoulos,

in case of broken/stuck ABS/BKV unit (don't hope so!) try this:

rhelectronics

greets,

Björn
fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity.
robopoulos

#3 Beitrag von robopoulos »

Vielen Dank Björn. Ein Freund kommt Morgen mit Gerät fur Fehlercodes zu läsen, vielleight wird sich etwas dann klar werden.

Gruß,
robopoulos
robopoulos

#4 Beitrag von robopoulos »

Followup:

Indeed, the problem was the relay and it's welded contact.

This relay actually has a bad design flaw IMO (as an engineer) which most likely leads to this particular failure instead of just not allowing current to flow - what an insulating spike normally would/could cause. The relay has two identical parallel contacts for the motor power current, operated simultaneuosly with a single coil. The other contact had a spike hindering the pair of contacts from releasing. Not so hard to imagine that the current will keep on flowing through the other contact keeping the motor running constantly.

Instead of this kind of construction both contacts should have their own coils or there should be just one single larger contact. In the latter case the current would just stop flowing when a spike appears but the brakes would still work. As it is now, when the relay fails on the road you may get a broken ABS motor as well.

The other contact was not badly contaminated, the other one was clean. I cleaned the relay and now it's ok, for some time at least.

Gruß,
robopoulos
Antworten